Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am the owner of a 2 story commercial building (~10,000 square…

Customer Question
I am the owner of...
I am the owner of a 2 story commercial building (~10,000 square feet) located in the footprint of the new VA Hospital in New Orleans, La. I am very disappointed with the purchase offer. Can u give me some advice as to what information I would need to argue my case.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/23/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

When the government takes land by the power of eminent domain, it only is required to pay the fair market value of the property at the time of the taking. Due to current market conditions, that value may be seriously impaired.

However, current economic conditions are more than merely impaired by a commercial real estate downturn -- conditions are also impaired by the Deepwater Horizon oil leak. This could create what is effectively "fire sale" prices on local property which do not represent fair market value in the Louisiana market, even with the ordinarily depressed prices. Therefore, the price should be increased to reflect the reasonable value of the property in a local economy not imperiled by the current emergency conditions.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.