Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

we have a commercial building that went into forclouser, we…

Customer Question
we have a commercial building...
we have a commercial building that went into forclouser, we have been working with wells fargo and was about to sign the new loan today. They have collected all the payments and the interest from us for the time that the loan was in forclosure. Today the day that everything was about to get finalized, they said no, we have changed our mind and we are going ahead with the forclosure. Do we have any rights here?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/23/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

If you can prove that the lender agreed to give you a new loan in exchange for some new agreement on your party, such as payments in addition to those ordinarily required under your mortgage -- or, if you can prove that you were offered a new loan from another lender that you did not accept because of your reliance on your current lender, then that would be an enforceable contract and you can sue the lender for damages.

But, if all you did was to make the payments that you were obligated to make under the existing loan, while waiting for the lender to approve a new loan, then you have no recourse, because your payments were not made by any fraudulent inducement of the lender -- since you were already obligated to make the payments.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne, you have to find a new contract or "detrimental reliance," somewhere in your transctions with the lender, in order to have a claim for breach of contract.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.