Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Im a commercial property manager in Los Angeles, CA. A tenant…

Customer Question
I'm a commercial property manager...
I'm a commercial property manager in Los Angeles, CA. A tenant has recently died. There is an unpaid electric bill of $1500 and lots of property in the unit. The family says, "they don't want anything to do with it." We'd like to sell the property to recoup the bill amount. What steps should we take first?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/23/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer

.

California differentiates between a deceased tenant with a lease and one with only a month-to-month rental agreement. If there's a lease, the tenant's death does not terminate the lease. Instead, landlords must treat the situation as if the tenant had moved away during the lease term, without a legal justification. These landlords must make reasonable efforts to re-rent, and once the unit is occupied, the estate's responsibility for the rent ends.

.

With month-to-month tenants, the estate's responsibility for the rent will end 30 days after the tenant had last paid rent and the landlord can pursue a formal eviction.

.

.

Thanks

If I have answered your question, PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN "ACCEPT" BUTTON NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are optional, and are greatly appreciated. If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.