Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I signed a contract to buy a condo in 2006.I gave $60,000 as…

Customer Question
I signed a contract to...
I signed a contract to buy a condo in 2006.I gave $60,000 as earnest money.The contract says the condo will be substantially completed by March 2009.The condo is completed now.The builders wants to close now.Can I get out of contract and get my earnest money back for not completing condo on time.That is almost one year an 3 months late. Thanks.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/23/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Unless your contract specified that the contract was "time of the essence" I am afraid on these contracts the courts look at whether or not the completion time was reasonable. Additionally, the court will look at whether or not you gave notice to the builder all along during the building process demanding completion before March 2009 and since then as well. These cases can be very expensive to pursue when there was no "time of the essence" clause in the contract, but if you can show the delay in completion was unreasonable you could succeed in terminating the contract and obtaining the refund.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

The contract does says under MISCELLANEOUS paragraph. Time is of essence of this contract.Meanwhile All this time i and the builder did not contact each other.So what are my chances of getting my money back.What could be the other reasons to get my earnest money back.Thanks.
So because it says time is of the essence you have a much better than average chance of recovering BUT the only hurdle you face is you did not bring the suit for over a year and they would argue that your waiting more than a year after the contract was supposed to be completed would be a waiver of your right to claim time of the essence.
Please answer my question. Thanks.Are there few more reasons i can get my earnest money back.Thankks.
No, earnest money is refundable only when the contract is breached by no fault of your own. Here the only breach is the failure to complete the construction on time because you had a "time is of the essence" contract. Had you not had the time of the essence clause, then the court would be looking at the reasons for the construction not being completed on time and would make the subjective determination as to whether or not the delay was reasonable. As I have already said, the only thing you will have to overcome is not raising the time of the essence issue sooner than one year three months after the fact. But the breach of the other party is the only reason earnest money would be refundable, since absent contract making it refundable, earnest money by definition is non-refundable.
our case is in court.Builder wants to give $15000.25% of earnest money back as settllement..Should I take it or continue fight in court for more money.what are my chances of winning all 60000 $.
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Honestly, and you need to evaluate your attorney's fees on this, but I believe that is a low offer on this based on the facts you described. You may want to counter for at least 80% and your goal is to try to force them to come up to at least 50% or better of the amount before you should consider settlement. Settlement is always a tough call for a client, but based on your "time is of the essence" agreement you are in a bit better position, plus you can argue they still have the condo to sell.
My attorney asked them for $35000 they do not want to give any more.My attorney reccomonds that i settle for $15000.so far i have given $2000 to my attorney assuming that is the flat fee.If i do not win i may loose all the money.Please advice.
If your attorney is suggesting that amount, I would still hold off for at least $25,000-$20,000 since you offered $35,000 last. They have some room to go yet, so I don't think you need to rush it right now.