Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

One our condo units is operating a private show room and there…

Customer Question
One our condo units is...
One our condo units is operating a private show room and there are questios about whether it qualifies as a "homebase" office. Are there State laws that defines home based business?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/23/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: FLACORPLAWYER, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
FLACORPLAWYER
Without reference to the statutes, if somebody is operating a private showroom from a condo unit, that is a home based business, and if the CCR's of the condo prohibit the home based businesses, the unit is in violation. Whether an office is a home based office is a definition that has more to do with the tax laws.

It is true that CA requires individual to reside at least 1/2 time at the location inorder to be considered at "home" and therefore a "home based" business?

I can find no reference to that in state law. Do you have any citation? In any event, if people are coming and going from a condo business, that can't possibly be permissible under the condo docs.
I don't...but this was based on the circumstance that the owner in question owns multiple residences, and based on CA's law that allow indivduals to have up to 2 properties as primary residences only one can be occupied at least 1/2 time(?) Would you be able to send me a case study?
This website is designed to provide simple answers to single questions in an informal setting. We cannot do legal research or write our opinions on each case here. I urge you to consult with a local real estate attorney who is familiar with condo laws.