Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We are three brothers who have (through the recent death of…

Customer Question
We are three brothers who...
We are three brothers who have (through the recent death of our mother)
inherited the family home [] Though two of us live on the premises
(the 3rd lives separately with his family) my brother has quit his job
and is refusing to pay his share of the bills..He's also had the house/
mortgage insurance policy changed to name him as sole beneficiary; the
insurance co., won't even talk to us without his permisson-which he refuses
to give.

My question is: what are our legal rights in this matter OR what kind
of attorney should we be looking for in order to protect
our interests?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/23/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
N Cal Attorney
Has the house gone through probate?

No.

We became co-owners before she passed away and since have just continued to

handle the property as a "family" matter. however, with this latest turn of events it

appears that we can no longer continue to do that.

What exactly does the deed to the property say where it describes the Grantees.

I don't know. I don't have a copy of it. This is why we're looking at getting legal help.

We don't know what to look for or what questions to ask. I imagine it's more

complicated than it looks...

You can get a copy of the deed from the County Recorder's office of the County where the property is located.

Please let me know what the deed says once you have a chance to get a copy.

Also I have to ask if she left a Will.

YES. But we haven't viewed it yet. We're just getting around to the legal matters

involved with her passing.

I'll get a copy of the deed and let you know what it says.

OK, I'll be here waiting in this same thread.
Do I just logon here and look for "N Cal Attorney"???
You can just answer my latest information request whenever you have the information and I will see that you replied on my side of the website.

It is easier to continue in this thread. You can start a new thread and put N Cal Atty in the subject line but it will be easier for me to remember what we were talking about if you keep this thread going.
Okay. And thank you very much.
OK now please do not reply to this post until you get the information.

I hope to hear from you in a few days.

See you then.

ok.

OK