Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

i had a 2 year lease on my home to tennants who walked out…

Customer Question
i had a 2 year...
i had a 2 year lease on my home to tennants who walked out after 11 months and refuse to pay saying they gave me notice and its my fault I didnt find another renter. I had a renter lined up but they refused to move or allow me to show the home. now I am getting their delinquent utility bills. Can I sue for the remaining 11 months of the lease they signed?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/23/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: DCrane Law, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
DCrane Law
DCrane Law, Lawyer
Thank you for the post, yes you can sue for the remaining 11 months. I assume that you had a written agreement in place.

Yes I do have a written agreement. What if I have a temporary tennant do I have to subtract that off the toatal ammount he owes for the remaining months? Can I still sue him for the remaining months if the lease does not expire until April 2011

Hello, you can claim from the breaching tenant the amount that you lost by virtue of the breach. You cannot claim rent from a new tenant and sue the old tenant for the full amount of rent that was due under that contract.
Have I answered your question?