Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My wife and I sold our home to get out from under the mortgage…

Customer Question
My wife and I sold...
My wife and I sold our home to get out from under the mortgage and to relocate in a cheaper area with a cash purchase of a home. We had a 2 week escrow (an all cash sale) which closed last Friday, June 18, 2010. The problem is Chase has been delaying faxing the payoff statements (for the two equity loans on the property, the mortgage was paidoff on June 18,2010) to the escrow despite numerous faxes and phone calls from both myself and the escrow officer including one conference call. Chase was notified of the escrow when it opened and given the closing date within the first week. I kept them appraised of the progress and restill received numerous calls from Chase until June 16 when I informed them that escrow would close on time. The payoff request was faxed by the escrow company on June 17, 2010 and assured that it would be received on time, but nothing. Chase is now claiming to have sent the documents on time but to the escrows phone line rather than to the fax. We have a bid in on a house and we'll need to show proof of funds in a day or two. My main concern is one of the equity loan was due to change status on the closing day of the escrow, and that Chase has stalled and is continuing to stall in an effort to seize more of the proceeds. In this whole process they've extremely difficult and non-responsive to the requests of myself, the escrow officer and our real estate agents. Could they intentionally sabatoge the payoff in order to file a notice of default?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/23/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Hello and thank you for your question. No, if they intentionally do so then you have a defense of their acting in bad faith to raise in court.