Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I own a condo in CT and recently my deck (which is 20 years…

Customer Question
I own a condo in...
I own a condo in CT and recently my deck (which is 20 years old) was in need of major repair. The deck was coming away from the unit, tilting and unsafe. The stairs were also unsafe. Is it unreasonable to ask that the repairs be brought to code. I realize that the building codes have changed in the past twenty years, but would expect that at a minimum the deck and repairs to the unit etc. would be brought up to the building code at that time. Is this correct?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/22/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Roger, Lawyer

You are correct that any alterations, updates, remodeling, etc. will fall under the new building code requirements.

The new work will have to be permitted and built in accordance with the current codes.