Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Hallo, is it in violation of any current law and/or regulation…

Customer Question
Hallo, is it in violation of...
Hallo,
is it in violation of any current law and/or regulation in the state of NY arranging a business referral fee rebate agreement in relation to introducing to a mortgage broker or mortgage loan officer certain clients in need of a COMMERCIAL MORTGAGE LOAN refinancing?

In other words is it in full compliance with the letter and the spirit of the Federal and Stete law for a foreign entity (who is not a licensed mortgage broker in USA) to introduce a client in need of a mortgage refinancing (on a property located in NY) to a NY licensed mortgage broker and/or licensed loan officer and negotiating with the mortgage broker/loan officer a fee rebate agreement with him?

Considering that we are talking about a commercial loan to be refinanced, can either a mortgage broker or a loan officer intermediate/broker it, or to be in compliance with the NY law, it must be a mortgage broker the intermediating entity?

Would a mortgage loan on a entire building composed of over 140 apartments used for residential rentals considered a residential or a commercial loan?

Thank in advance and look forward to hearing from you,

Carlo
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/23/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

If the fee is (1) conditioned upon the successful completion of the transaction, or (2) dependent upon the transaction's value, then it is clearly illegal, because the party providing the referral is acting as a subagent in negotiating the loan (i.e., the referring party is "in" the transaction until it is completed).

Otherwise, the fee would be legal because it is only a marketing/advertising arrangement.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.