Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I own a condo that I purchased 4 years ago on a 5 year ARM.

Customer Question
The payment is expecting balloon...
I own a condo that I purchased 4 years ago on a 5 year ARM. The payment is expecting balloon in April 2010. I have two hardships...1. The fact that the payment will balloon & 2. I can't sell the condo. What are my options?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/22/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: WALLSTREETESQ, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
WALLSTREETESQ

what type of mortgage do you have, and is it a personal residence?

It is a 5 year fixed ARM. $230K on a 5.4% interest and a 2nd loan on $100K 9% interest
you may want to consider a chapter 13 bankruptcy that would reduce your other debts, and let you keep the home, also if the condo is underwater by $100, you can strip off the 2nd lien, and convert it to unsecured debt, which can be paid at 5-10% of the balance. A chapter 7 would get rid of both loans, however your home would be sold.
I forgot to mention it is a rental
lien stripping can take place if 1) there is a balloon payment due during the life of the chapter 13 case, 2) the second is secured by other assets in addition to the house (personal property, road, ally, etc.), or 3) the property is not the "debtor's principal residence, so your rental will qualify, and possibly if you file early, you should be fine.
what is lien stripping?
it would get rid of your 2nd loan on the property so you will only be paid the first loan.
How do i do that? Talk to my bank...? File a chapter 13
please read above, you file a chapter 13 bankruptcy and if the home is valued less than 100,000 they will remove the second lien, So if the house is worth $200,000 the second lien will be stripped as their is no equity to pay it if the house was sold.
WALLSTREETESQ
Hi...I'm going to post the question again to get another opinion. Just FYI.
ok.