Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

HiI would like to know who pays for a handrail for our town…

Customer Question
Hi I would like to know...
Hi
I would like to know who pays for a handrail for our town home? The Hoa is Tower Ridge and they want me to pay the $400.00 it took to put it in for my husband who walks with a cane and also has a heart condition. We have the letter from the Doctor and now we need the form to turn in to our HOA so they will pay for it. We don't own the land is sits on but They said it's my problem and we ordered it after their approval who is now responsible for the Charge. To me that should be there expense and not mine as it was never put on our property when it was built eleven years ago. Charles does need the support as it is real difficult for him to manage stairs. He is 80 years old and has had post polio sendrum, for many years.
Elizabeth Larsen
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/21/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Chat Conversation Started
Lucy, Esq. :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Lucy, Esq. :

If the stairs are part of the common area (which they usually are), the HOA should pay for the railing. However, if the stairs are only accessible by your unit, they can ask you to pay for it.

Lucy, Esq. :

The general idea is that, if the only home that is able to use the stairs is yours, the other home owners shouldn't have to bear the cost of installing it.