Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My mother has lived in her home since 1954, several years ago…

Customer Question
My mother has lived in...
My mother has lived in her home since 1954, several years ago she added my mname to the deed. She has Prop 13 tax credits, will they transfer to me, once she has passed away? I am the only child, my father passed away over 20 years ago.
How and what is the best way to handle this? should I get a living trust? or will it be an automatic transfer ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/21/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

My mother has lived in her home since 1954, several years ago she added my mname to the deed. She has Prop 13 tax credits, will they transfer to me, once she has passed away?

A: You automatically receive your parents' property tax basis. R&T Code 63.1.

I am the only child, my father passed away over 20 years ago. How and what is the best way to handle this? should I get a living trust? or will it be an automatic transfer ?

A: if you are a joint tenant on the deed, then the transfer is automatic. If you are a tenant in common, then you will have to get a probate court to decree you as the heir, unless your mother places her interest in the property into a trust before she passes.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.