Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have lived with a woman for 11 years in my house. I was in…

Customer Question
I have lived with a...
I have lived with a woman for 11 years in my house. I was in the process of changing the locks on the door since she had been gone for 6 days when she filed a court protection claim against me for threatening and intimidating /domestic volence were I was arrested for 20 days. After she had me arrested she went back to my house and is telling family members that I can't come back to my house for one year. The house is in my name only what do I do so I can go back to my home and have her removed?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/21/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

You have to evict her, just like any other tenant. Once she is out, the protective order will be irrelevant, because she won't be residing in the property any longer.

You may have to get the court to lift the protective order so that you can serve her a 10 day notice to quit and a summons and complaint for forcible detainer.

For a landlord-tenant lawyer referral, see: http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/lris/directory/main.cfm?id=AZ and www.martindale.com.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.