Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I gave verbal notice on the 1st of June. I then gave my written…

Customer Question
I gave verbal notice on...
I gave verbal notice on the 1st of June. I then gave my written notice on the 16th of June. There was a major problem with the water pipes in the apartment above me. I came home to find my kitchen and dining room floaded. The flooring and carpeting was bubbled. I have been telling them about my leaky sink for 2 months. They came and looked at it but did not fix the problem. Now the manager said I have to stay for another full month and that she will not replace the carpeting. When I moved in it was not new, all they did was clean it. My least is over and I want to leave this problem place and it looks like they are trying to keep me here threating my credit and keeping my deposit.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/21/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

If you can contact the plumber who is repairing the pipes, then you can use him/her as a witness to show that you were "constructively" evicted from the property, because it is rendered uninhabitable by the flooding.

Also, if there is a building inspector involved, that person could be used as a witness. And, if no repairs have been made, then you can contact the local building and safety department, code enforcement officer, and request an investigation.

Any of these witnesses could be used to sue the landlord for the constructive eviction and to recover your security deposit.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

My lease is over. The manager over looked this. I told her my lease is up and I would be moving. Now she says that July will be my last month so I can find a place to live. I do not want to be here for one more day than I have to. Far too many things are broken. The owner lost the complex to the bank. I think she just wants my money for the month. Can I leave at the end of the month without endangering my credit?

Your credit is only damaged if the management reports you as delinquent to a credit reporting agency. If that happens, then your only recourse is to sue the management for a judgment finding you constructively evicted. That judgment would then be used to dispute the management's report to the credit reporting agencies.

So, the short answer is yes, your credit report is at risk, unless you pay the management according to what it believes is your obligation. The only way to leave early is to claim constructive eviction. Unfortunately, the only way to prove constructive eviction is in a courtroom.

Hope this helps.