Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My daughter is in Florida and rented an apartment, she suffers…

Customer Question
My daughter is in Florida...
My daughter is in Florida and rented an apartment, she suffers from anxiety and it has gotten worse since she moved, she can't go to work and is under doctor's care. She needs to break her lease and move back to Wisconsin due to this anxiety condition. Is there a way for her to break this lease and not have to pay a large sum of money as she is not able to work?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/21/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer

I hate to give bad news, but a person's medical condition is not taken into consideration when determining whether they are bound under a contract. If she breaches the lease, the landlord can sue her for up to the entire remaining term of the lease.

.

However, the landlord is under a duty to mitigate his damages by renting the unit as soon as possible and can only charge her for his actual damages. So if it took him 2 months to rent it, he can only charge her for 2 mos.

.

If she put down a deposit and agrees to let the landlord have it as damages while moving at the end of the month, the landlord might agree to release her. If he does, make sure she gets it in writing.

.

The other option would be to simply move out, and roll the dice that he wouldn't bother suing her if he can't find her. As a landlord myself, it is rare that I sue someone if I have no idea where they have gone because I regard it as throwing good money after bad.

.

.

Thanks

If I have answered your question, PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN "ACCEPT" BUTTON NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are optional, and are greatly appreciated. If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.