Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Four years ago, my boyfriend (a doctor practicing in California…

Customer Question
Four years ago, my boyfriend...
Four years ago, my boyfriend (a doctor practicing in California full-time) bought a house for us (including my daughter) in Montana. He also has a lake home about 35 miles away, in which he vacationed (and continues to) before purchasing this home.

He became increasingly abusive, and I ended up filing an order of protection against him. He had to vacate this home, and he moved down to the lake house. After hiring an attorney, he has been on a campaign to get me out of the house. He is paying no utilities--just taxes and insurance, and I am keeping the house in good shape (mowing lawns, weeding, etc.). He is threatening legal action to remove my 10-year old daughter and me, which would leave us homeless. I have tried to find work, but he didn't allow me to during our relationship; consequently, no one will hire me. What are my rights?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/21/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Can you tell me who is on the title to the home?
His name is XXXXX XXXXX title; however, he gave me power of attorney for the house. I don't know if that has any bearing. He stated repeatedly that it was "OUR home; but I suppose that makes no difference in the eyes of the law....
POA will not help you since a POA can be revoked at any time.

The other problem you have is that under the statute of frauds, you can not have an agreement on ownership the home unless its in writing. SO your in a tough spot.

If you can settle this, I would do so. Since your not married and do not own the home, if you fight this, I suspect you will not win in the end.

Sorry to have to bear bad news.