Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

we moved into a house without signing a lease agreement. a…

Customer Question
we moved into a house...
we moved into a house without signing a lease agreement. a house that is disgusting and unclean. we have seen mouse droppings and roaches and spent three days cleaning mold out of the refrigerator. there are exposed wires in the basement and a leak in our living room window. the garage itself still shows excessive dirt and dust as well as exposed ceiling tiles. the landlord reports that he is "too busy" to get over here and clean up what he said he would clean up. we have been paying him since march to "hold the house" until we moved in this month. do we have a case to justify reimbursement?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/21/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 8 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

While you may give 30 days notice of your intent to terminate the rental agreement, there is no legal basis for you to force the landlord to reimburse you for the money you have already paid him to "hold" the property until you could move into it. I'm sorry.

On the other hand, you can insist that the landlord make the property habitable by the time you move into the property---and if this is not done, you might contact the local health department and file a complaint.

I wish you the best in 2010.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so. I do work diligently to provide you with the correct Answer under the law, and because I have no control over what the law is, I ask you not to hold that against me. It has been my pleasure to assist you, and would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having answered your Question. Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Doug