Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My husbands uncle owned a house (duplex) and land with his…

Customer Question
My husband's uncle owned a...
My husband's uncle owned a house (duplex) and land with his sister. We have lived in one half of the duplex for 8 years. We are paying the home equity loan that his uncle took out to pay for remodeling the half we live in. My husband did all the work remodeling this half. We have been taking care of his uncle's needs for the past 30 years. We moved in 8 years ago basically to be here for him medically and financially as his mother was about to sign over her half to us. But she died one week before the transfer so then it went to her husband. For the past 5 years since her death he had also promised to sign it over but now refuses. His parents had not paid one penny to the up keep of the land nor paid taxes for the past 30 years. His uncle signed over his half to us 2 years ago. We have been paying the taxes on the property since we moved here. What are our rights.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/21/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Richard, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Richard, Lawyer

Good morning. Although you don't have the right to force the husband to transfer the land to you, what you do have is a claim for reimbursement of the money and labor value that you put into the house on the husband's behalf. You would need to reduce this by the fair market rental value of the premises you have occupied over the years. You should file a claim against him for this amount. After you get a judgment, you can then move to collect that judgment by attaching his assets, including the interest in the house. This should either get his attention and get him to agree to transfer his interest in the house, or you can move to foreclose on his interest to collect your judgment.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.