Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

good morning. We have a business client that he personally…

Customer Question
good morning. We have a...
good morning. We have a business client that he personally guaranteed and incurred over $60,000.00 in website and marketing development that we have actually gone out of pocket on paying all of our vendors that produced the work from last year. They are over 7 months past due, as well as having VERY spotty communication (including standing me up on last Monday for lunch, and my texting, emailing and mobile calls to see if the client was running late, going to arrive or for that matter was OK). We are aware that this client is selling a multi million dollar 'second' house that has gone into escrow in a mountain resort, consequently receiving a large sum out of the equity. Would our placing a lien on this property be an appropriate action or what else should I do? [email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/21/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 years ago
You would not be able to place the lien on the house, since this was not for work done on the house, unless you had a contract that put the house up as security or without a judgment from the court (unlike a regular mechanic's lien). However, if you file suit now, you could ask the court for a pre-judgment seizure or lien to protect any judgment you would be awarded in the suit.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Thanks for your repsonse. But I guess I didn't fully ask our question. We wondered about the lien, but didn't want to file a suit, so since that is a suggestion, can we just go to our county cout house to file the suit or do we need to now use a lawyer?
I know exactly what you were referring to, but as I tried to explain above, the only lien that can be placed without filing suit would be a mechanic's lien or construction lien and this does not fall into either of those categories, so it would require a suit and motion for the prejudgment seizure upon showing that there is a likelihood the party would not pay judgment from the sale. As a business you would require an attorney to represent your business in filing the suit.