Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have payed a friend 3000.00 dallors to rent her home from…

Customer Question
I have payed a friend...
I have payed a friend 3000.00 dallors to rent her home from April 1 2010 to end on August31 2010 the thing is I lived in Fresno cal. and came here to Ark to move into the home and to find out when I got here that she still has her belonging in the house, so I can't move in. So now I am living with my sister. What I want to know is does she have to give me my money back.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/21/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Dimitry Esquire, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Thank you for your question.

She absolutely MUST return the money back to you, as you are not able to use the home. regardless of whether she spent it, it was not her money to spend--you did not get a benefit from the rent. If she refuses to return the money, threaten her with a small claims lawsuit where you can get the courts to compel her to return to you money that she had no right to keep or spend, plus filing fees and court costs.

Good luck.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 6/21/2010 at 3:14 AM EST