Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We moved into our house 18 years ago. At the time our neighbor…

Customer Question
We moved into our house...
We moved into our house 18 years ago. At the time our neighbor had a fence that ran between our properties about a foot away from the neighbor's garage. About 7 years ago, the neighbor's property changed hands. The new owners tore down the fence about built a new one that is even with garage and ends at the northwest corner of the garage. The house again recently changed owners. We want to extend a fence about twelve feet along the southwest corner of the garage to finish boxing off our yard. This would leave the north side of the neighbor's garage inside our fence. The neighbor claims he should unlimited access to the side of the garage as well as unlimited acess to both sides of the fence that was erected by the previous owner. I feel that both the neighbor and we share a joint responsibility for the fence and we should be able to continue the line established by the replacement fence. Am I correct?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/21/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Roger, Lawyer

There is no legal requirement for each of you to share joint responsibility for the fence. However, you're entitled to do whatever you want inside of your property line - including putting up a fence.

So long as you're on your property, you can put the fence wherever you like, even if it blocks some access by the neighbor.