Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

1) Aside from a full sale of the property, is there any rental/lease/contract…

Customer Question
1) Aside from a full...
1) Aside from a full sale of the property, is there any rental/lease/contract means to remove the house from our credit to allow us to pursue a different house at our new location?

2) We have heard that there is a possible a tax write-off for people who move over a certain distance for employment who have to take a loss on the house. So...for example...I have to lose 10K on the house to sell it...am I allowed to write that off because I had to move for work? However, I took the job 2 years ago...would that make a difference?

3) It sounds like a contract sale would be dangerous for us...but would be attractive to a buyer because they wouldn't have to go through a formal bank. Can the contract be drawn up in a way to protect us from the legal fees should we have to foreclose on them? Is their flexibility in the contract language to allow it to better protect us. We are just a normal family and don't have the resources to take on anything else. We just can't sell the house in this ecomony yet.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/20/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

A: Credit reports do not show home ownership -- they only display the existence of an active real property loan. In order to remove that from your credit report, you must pay off the loan.

2) We have heard that there is a possible a tax write-off for people who move over a certain distance for employment who have to take a loss on the house. So...for example...I have to lose 10K on the house to sell it...am I allowed to write that off because I had to move for work?

A: Even assuming that you otherwis qualify for the deduction, you have to move in connection with the acquisition of new employment. Which apparently, you cannot prove, based upon your question below.

However, I took the job 2 years ago...would that make a difference?

A: Yes. See above.

3) It sounds like a contract sale would be dangerous for us...but would be attractive to a buyer because they wouldn't have to go through a formal bank. Can the contract be drawn up in a way to protect us from the legal fees should we have to foreclose on them?

A: There's no way to slice this bird advantageously.A person is either a tenant or an owner. You can't evict an owner, like you can a tenant, so, what is advantageous to the buyer, is disadvantageous to the seller. That's the tradeoff.

Wish there were some other answer.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.