Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Hi, For the month of April I signed a rental agreement to…

Customer Question
Hi, For the month of...
For the month of April I signed a rental agreement to rent a bedroom in someone's home while I was waiting to close on a property. The monthly rent was $400 as was the security deposit. At the end of April, I decided to stay on a month to month basis, knowing I would need to give a written 30 day notice when I decided to vacate. This is exactly what I did. The landlord is stating that I will not be receiving my deposit back because I chose to give my 30 day written notice on May 8. When I asked her how she would like to receive payment for the first 8 days of June, she replied, "I will just subtract it from your security. It'll be $100." I agreed that would be fine. I vacated and gave her keys back on May 24 or 25. On June 8 I text her asking when would be a good time for me to drop by her house to pick up my remaining deposit. She replied that I could stop by the next day. She would "either be home or leave it under the mat" for me to pick up. I have the lease...
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/20/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Hello and thank you for your question. what precisely do you want to know?
Am I legally out of my security deposit according to the terms of the lease I've included in my original question? I feel like if the written 30 day notice I gave her was not sufficient, then she should've said something at that time or at least not been the one to suggest she subtract June's rent (June 1-June 8) from my security deposit.
Does the lease permit cancellation on 30 day notice? If so if you give notice on say today, you would be liable for rent through end of the month on which the 30th day landlord or in my hypo through end of july.
I'm not sure what "in my hypo" means. Everything the lease states as far as the terms, is in my original question. At the time I gave my 30 day written notice, I was in a month-to-month with her.

You would need to pay through end of month on which 30th day of the notice lands
Relist: not sure what his answers mean..
not sure what his answers mean.
Relist: I don't think the question was read thoroughly..
I don't think the question was read thoroughly.
Relist: Answer quality.
Relist: Can someone please help me?.
Can someone please help me?
Relist: Answer quality.