Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Help! Our hot water heater leaked and has flooded our apartment!

Customer Question
There is water soaked in...
Help! Our hot water heater leaked and has flooded our apartment! There is water soaked in the carpet of at least 3 rooms, including a closet in the guest room we used for storage... packed FULL.

Maintenance came by today and did a "quick fix" and will be back tomorrow to seal it and fix it for good.

So now I am spending my Father's Day cleaning up the mess. I was supposed to take my dad out to brunch, but couldn't. I was supposed to have the whole family over for dinner tonight... but can't. Out living room is now filled with all of the dry boxes, and our kitchen is filled with all the wet ones. I am going through towels as quickly as I can soak up the water.

Sooooo much damage. Countless boxes, original paintings, hand-written journals, furniture sitting in water, etc.

Do I have any rights for damaged property? No, I don't have renters insurance. (I know, I know.)

Should they be helping me clean? What about my mold/mildew/small concerns? Do I have any rights?

Charlotte, NC
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/20/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: lwpat, Attorney replied 8 years ago
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
While you do have rights there are things that happen in the normal course of living and the law does not protect you from those things. The landlord is not responsible for any of your damaged items unless you can show that he was negligent. A hot water heater should have a pan under it with a drain to the outside to prevent what has happened to you. If it does not then you may well have a claim for negligence and you can sue for your damages in small claims court. You will need proof such as receipts and pictures. Otherwise they will be responsible for cleaning and drying the carpet, etc and repairing the heater and that is all. Sorry for your situation.