Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

is it true that if a resident feels unsafe in there dewelling…

Customer Question
is it true that if...
is it true that if a resident feels unsafe in there dewelling because they feel like they are being stalked or their movement is being tracked?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/19/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: LawGirl, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
LawGirl
LawGirl, Lawyer
Thank you for your question.

It appears that part of it may have been cut-off. Please feel free to continue or clarify your question here.

is it true according to pennsylvania tennants law that a person may break their lease if they feel unsafe in their residence or life in jeopardy?

Thank you for your question.

In some states there are laws that allow you to break the lease because of domestic violence issues. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find such laws on the books in Pennsylvania. This means that this may not be a sufficient reason to break the lease agreement. However, this would not prevent your landlord from letting you out of your lease because of extenuating circumstances.

You may consider a restraining order like a Protection Order. To the extent that you are able to obtain this order, it will be adjudicated that the person being restrained is a credible threat to you. Not only will this document help to keep the individual away from you. However, to the extent that you simply must break the lease and get sued, it may be helpful to have this documentation of your circumstance and/or actions that you took to try to protect yourself.

Please let me know if you have any other questions on this matter or require clarification. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT" so I may receive credit for my efforts.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me with beginning your question with "For LawGirl..."

I wasn't talking about domestic violence i'm be stalked and I feel that my upstairs neighbor is in colusion,do I have the right to break my lease and move I fear for my life and am very affraid.

As a lot of authority on stalking has been covered with domestic violence, and domestic violence has recently been codified as a reason for lease termination in some jurisdictions, that is why we were searching for authority on domestic violence. Had we found it, we would have researched its application to see if it could be made applicable to your particular scenario.

It would be helpful to know, who is your upstairs neighbor in collusion with? Has your landlord been made aware of this? If so, what is your landlord's response?