Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Ill be recieving rental assistance while im already locked…

Customer Question
I'll be recieving rental assistance...
I'll be recieving rental assistance while im already locked into a lease. i hate the apartment and neighborhood i liv in and i want to move my family when i get my voucher on the 29th can i break my lease when i legally break my lease since im getting the voucher? plus i think my voucher is for a 3 bedroom and i curently have a 2 bedroom
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/19/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Jonathan Leventhal, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Jonathan Leventhal

The short answer is no, "Unless" the contract permits you to move because you are receiving rental assistance.

Generally a contract for the lease of a residence is for a period of time. If you move out prior to that with the consent of the landlord you are in breach of the contract.

You can be liable for all unpaid rent during the time the residence is vacant. You are responsible for any additional costs incurred by the landlord that are incurred while attempting to rent the residence.

As I mentioned above the fact that you are receiving a voucher has no bearing on your lease unless the lease specifically mentions the voucher issue.

I hoped I have answered your question to your satisfaction.

Jonathan Leventhal, Esq.

This is information only, NOT legal advice. No Attorney-client relationship has been created. Please consult an Attorney in your state for legal advice regarding this matter.

Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited and paid for my time when I have answered your question. I am available to answer follow-up questions or to clarify this answer. Positive feedback or a bonus is always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: Sometimes we receive your question before we receive your additional "optional information". If my answer does not appear to consider your optional information, please let me know as I was probably not able to view it when your question was first received.