Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My daughter had signed a lease on a house. After moving in…

Customer Question
My daughter had signed a...
My daughter had signed a lease on a house. After moving in the firstl load of boxes and upon returning with the second load she discovered someone had come in the house and stolen her possesions. Upon investigation it was determined that the Landlord did not remove the lock box and the lock box was broken into and the stored key was used to gain entry into the house. The question is does the LL have any liability or responsibility since they left the key in the lock box after they already had a signed lease??? She the LL has home owner's would my daughter's loss be covered under the LL's home owners?

thanks,

Gary
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/19/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: lwpat, Attorney replied 8 years ago
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
Sorry but here I do not see any liability on the part of the landlord. It was a criminal act by a third party. Your daughter should have purchased renters insurance and then she would be covered. The party could just as easily have gained entrance by another method.