Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I signed a one year leese and paid first month and security…

Customer Question
I signed a one year...
I signed a one year leese and paid first month and security in cash and received a receipt for both. I never moved into the home and notified the landlord that I would not be moving
in 4 days after I signed the leese. At the landlords request I returned all of the keys to them. The landlord will not repay any of my money and I have delivered in person a letter to them requesting my money. I have not received a response. What are my rights?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/19/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: BizAttorney, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
BizAttorney
BizAttorney, Lawyer
You have to look at the lease to determine your rights. Most leases give you an option to back out of the deal within a certain amount of time. If it is withing four days, then just cite the lease and you will get your money back.

If the lease doesn't say or the time is less than four days, then you will be breaching the lease. Legally when you breach a lease, then the landlord is obligated to mitigate his damages. This means that if he spends $25 advertising it and leases it tomorrow for the same rental amount, then you are only liable for the 4 days of the lease and the $25.

On the other hand if he advertises it and can't find anyone to rent it for a year, then you will be liable for the full year's rent.

Good luck!