Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Hi, I am a Tennessee resident living in an apartment under…

Customer Question
Hi, I am a Tennessee...
Hi, I am a Tennessee resident living in an apartment under a 12 month lease signed, July 7, 2009. The lease automatically renews to a month to month lease on July 7, but I have given notice on June 14 that I would be moving out. Under TN law a month to month contract is only required 30 days notice to leave the apartment. Does the 30 days start June 14 when I gave the notice, or does it start July 7 when it officially become a month to month contract?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/19/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker replied 8 years ago
KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Hello. Actually, the 30 days can start before the current lease ends. However, you must give a full 30 days notice from the start date of the month. So if your lease runs from July 7, 2009 to July 6, 2010, then your 30 day notice would have needed to been given by June 7, 2010.

Your June 14 notice is still valid, but it will only be 30 days notice for the following month, so you can't move out legally now until August 6th.

Now, none of this matters if the landlord is ok with it and lets you out. But technically you haven't given 30 days notice fully yet so you would move out August 6th.

Kimberly
Relist: I don't think resondant understood the question..
I don't think resondant understood the question.
In order for use to have a meaningful legal discussion, you have to explain to me anything that you think I didn't understand. According to your question as I read it, I answered you completely. Is there something more you would like to add?