Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My mom (homeowner) died in 2006. From that time until Feb 2010,

Customer Question
her common law husband occupied...
My mom (homeowner) died in 2006. From that time until Feb 2010, her common law husband occupied the unit, by which time he had defaulted on the mortgage, homeowners dues, utlities, etc. My sister and I have recently completed cleaning up the place, painting, carpeted, and readied the unit to be rented. We then learned there is a clause in the CC&R's limiting rentals to 25%, but also saying the Board may make an exception in the case of death, illness, or emergency. We requested an emergency meeting of the board and just learned today, they have decided not to make the exception for our case. We had explained my sister recently lost her job and the continued outlay of costs to our family represents a true hardship. Are there any case laws we can quote in our response to the Board or is it your experience we should not fight it and just plan on selling (which we preferred not to do at this time due to market prices)? Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/19/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

California court cases concerning leasing restrictions in commn interest developments (HOAs) are extremely slim. In fact, the California legal treatises point to a Florida case instead: Woodside Village Condominium Ass'n, Inc. v Jahren (2002) 806 So2d 452, which holds that leasing restrictions will be upheld unless unreasonable, i.e., no legitimate purpose.

A 25% lease to own ratio in a community is a reasonable means of maintaining property values, thus, I think you would be fighting a losing battle to contest the CC&Rs in court.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.