Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

my girlfriends dad was just in a car reck. he is 1500 dollars…

Customer Question
my girlfriends dad was just...
my girlfriends dad was just in a car reck. he is 1500 dollars behind in rent what are the laws about that to help him out when he gets out of the hosiptal
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/19/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Dimitry Esquire, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Thank you for your question.

I am not sure I understand--do you wish to know if someone out there can help him pay his bills?

that and if giving the sitution thats hes in the hospital shes trying to keep his stuff and will probably come after him for the rent as soon as he get released

Who is the "she" who is trying to keep his stuff?

can you tell me the whole story please so I can best assist you?

the landlady is trying to keep his stuff inside the house until he pays his 1500 dollars. my girlfriends dad is in the hosiptal right now for like another month. when he gets out is there places that will help him pay for the back rent and is there anything we can do because the landlady will come after him as soon as he gets released from the hosiptal. i know as her rights as the landlady she can sue for back rent but in this sitituion being hes in the hosiptal is there anything right now that i can do to get his stuff and set up like a payment arrangement for when he gets out. sorry im trying to explain it the best i can

Thank you for your follow-up.

Now I understand--thank you and you did great in your clarification.

Ok, there are no laws that specifically protect your girlfriend's dad from not being sued. The best he can do is consider bankruptcy as that will place any possible claims against him on a 30 day moratorium and if bankruptcy is granted, the debts can be discharged.

There are also no laws that help him in paying his bills--that is his responsibility and nobody else's. Bankruptcy can also assist with that. What he can do is possible sign a "power of attorney" document with you or someone else that will permit that person to act as his "agent" and create agreements on his behalf. You may be able to set up a payment plan with her while he is still in the hospital, if both parties agree.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 6/19/2010 at 3:07 AM EST