Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Our association had some paving done and I drove into my court…

Customer Question
Our association had some paving...
Our association had some paving done and I drove into my court when prep work was being done, no paving at that time and they sent me a fine of 150.00 They accused me of driving through common grounds which I did not, one of the other neighbors did.Now I submitted drawings to our association for a shed and they denied me because I would not pay the fine. Also they will not let me vote in any meeting on anything. The board members are home owners just like me but are abusing their power on the residents. How can they come up with a dollar amount and deny me of my rights.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/19/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

You can pay the fine with a check displaying the terms "paid under protest," and thereby protect your right to sue. Then you could sue in small claims court for the return of your $150 and prove that you did not drive through the prep work. Meanwhile, the HOA would have to restore al of your rights.

This may feel like extortion, but it will allow you to get what you need done without having to "fight city hall" while you're resolving the underlying dispute.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.