Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I bought a patio home in 2006. At the final inspection the…

Customer Question
I bought a patio home...
I bought a patio home in 2006. At the final inspection the was VERY LARGE PIPE coming out of the ground in the front of my home, and I was told that will be removed in 2 weeks . Later, I found out this is an abandoned well. I have been promised over the years this will be capped. And todate the pipe has been removed GThe builder RYAN HOMES and PA EPA comes and checks it once a quarter, This was disclosed to me. In addition my home is on slab and this week I had to have my tile replaced (at Ryans expencse) and when the tiled was pulled up there was a crack in the cement slab..the size of a tile and Ryan personnel said this is not a problem and got some concrete and patched it. As the tile was further removed there was another patch job and it also is cracking. I am told this is not unusal and ther is no problem. Do have have any legal recourse with the abandon well and this slab cracking especially if there s problem in the future. thank You
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/18/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

You would have to "connect the dots." There is no proof that the well is causing the soil movement, which in turn is causing the foundation cracks. Assuming that you can prove that the contractor should have reasonably known that the well would be a problem and that the ground movement would cause future problems, then you would sue for latent construction defects.

There could be a statute of limitations issue here, because you purchased the property with knowledge of the well. This could potentially limit your right to sue to four years from the date of purchase, so, if you're thinking about doing something, then you need to find a construction defect attorney now!

For a referral, see: http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/lris/directory/main.cfm?id=PA and www.martindale.com.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.