Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Hello, We just had a tenant move out and the damage is

Customer Question
Hello, We just had...

We just had a tenant move out and the damage is unbelievable!

When the moved in they had a nice place: carpet was only 1 year old, and very clean, whole house had new paint, new bathroom fixtures, new bathroom and kitchen flooring.

Tenants lived in property for eight years, started with one-year lease which continued as a month-to-month after first year.

Regardless Tenant gave us the keys on 13th and we fouind many problems far exceeding the security deposit: all carpet removed from the property (except in master bedroom --where it is caked with food and drink and ??) , several windows broken, rat holes in the master bedroom, rear yard fencing torn down, lawn no lobger exists -- dirt yard with wees, ceiling in basement half torn down, and walls covered in child's grafitti.

Waht is my recourse . what is the proper process to try and recoup monies fro repair from the tenant?
Thanks,

Cliff C.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/18/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Your recourse is to sue them. You can sue in small claims in MD up to $5k...if you want more than that you will need to hire an attorney and sue in district court.

Now, if they left a security deposit, you can use this to help offset your losses.

Make sure you document ALL costs. And get photo's/video to help prove your case.

So do we need professional tradesmen to provide estimates and/or perform the work? Or can we do the work and charge tenant for materials? What will standup in court?

Also in MD we have 45 days to send back security deposit and letter of disposition of deposit. Do I need to inform tenant via courier or other proveable method that I informed them of the costs associated with repairs to their damage above the deposit?

And how can you not be giving legal advise? You are a real estate lawyer -- aren't you?

Cliff

YOu can do either...you can have a contractor bid, or you can do the work yourself and charge materials.

Yes, you need to keep a copy of your notice you send to the tenant...and send it registered, return receipt requested.

The terms of service of this site prohibit me from entering into a attorney client relationship...I am an attorney, but I can not give "legal advice"....but I can give you accurate information...which is what i do...each and every day on this site.