Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Hi I have a lease contract for one year, I need to move now…

Customer Question
Hi I have a lease...
Hi I have a lease contract for one year, I need to move now but the landlord does not want me to leave, I submitted a letter about 2 months ago informing that I am leaving, they say I have to pay the rest of the lease for the year.
Is that true?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/18/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker replied 8 years ago
KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

Yes, this is true. You are bound by your current contract unless the landlord allows you to be released from your lease.

If he is letting you find another person to take over that is your best option. First find out what his requirements are for income, etc, so that you don't present people to him that are not qualified. You should be able to work this out.

I hope this helps,
Kimberly

So there is no way to be released from the contract? what about the 2 month notice letter? Well please let me know

Thanks

There is no way to be released from a lease unless you have grounds to go to court and get out of it. Those grounds would be something like no running water, no heat or a kitchen or bathroom that is not functioning.

A notice letter is not sufficient to get you out of a lease. This is a contract. If it were that simple then the contract would not have much validity. The only exception would be if there is a clause in your contract allowing you to be released with this notice letter.

You must work with your landlord if you want to move out early.

Kimberly