Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Approx. 3 years ago, Aegis Lending contacted me by phone with…

Customer Question
Approx. 3 years ago, Aegis...
Approx. 3 years ago, Aegis Lending contacted me by phone with a refinance offer, that i should have known was too good to be true. They offered a refinance package, which included paying off our vehicles, and all other debt that was owed. I had just purchased my home in 2005, with my elderly handicapped mother, and being a first time home buyer myself, I was not privy to the ways of scam mortgage lenders.
To make a long story short, I refinanced with Aegis and was completely ripped off. They forged my name on a tax and insurance waiver (which I KNOW I did not sign), and according to another local mortgage company, they charged me the most they absolutely could by law to do the refinance. When property tax time arrived, I was notified that I owed taxes and insurance on the loan. Tried to contact Aegis several times, to no avail, and in turn, had to refinance to get out of the bad loan. Do I have any recourse? My mortgage payments are so high, I now face foreclosure.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/18/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

The FBI and your county disrict attorney major fraud unit are actively pursuing fraudulent mortgage schemes. So, our recourse is to complain to law enforcement, and see if you can get them interested in your situation.

A provable forgery, can be a misdemeanor or a felony, so that could give the prosecutor some leverage.

As to a civil lawsuit, the issue is similar: did the mortgage broker know or have reason to know that you couldn't repay, and can you prove that the loan docs were massaged by the broker before you signed, and that you were subjected to undue influence in signing the docs.

This is not a case that most attorneys will take, except on an hourly basis, because the cost of proving it will be overwhelming, and the outcome uncertain. Which takes you back to complaining to law enforcement.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.