Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

mt assessed value on my home has dropped to 53,000. I am still…

Customer Question
mt assessed value on my...
mt assessed value on my home has dropped to 53,000. I am still being taxed on 48,517. I have a 100 percent homestead exemption. How am I still being taxed so much?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/18/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker replied 8 years ago
KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

The value of your home is not a fixed amount. Not only does it fluctuate but it also is based upon the values of other comparable homes in the area.

The assessor only comes around so often to reevaluate assessments, and it is much different from an appraisal from a real estate agent, so you can't really compare them.

Yes, you can of course appeal this, and in many instances they will adjust this accordingly. Go through their office and follow the procedure that they give you. There is no guarantee it will work, but is worth a shot!

I hope this helps,
Kimberly