Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I rented a 3 bedroom apt in somerville ma in Nov of 2009, its…

Customer Question
I rented a 3 bedroom...
I rented a 3 bedroom apt in somerville ma in Nov of 2009, its a 3 bedroom in a 3 family. I have had many arguements with my landlord since Jan of 2010 over a roomate I let move in to help with the cost (I had planned on getting a roomate all along thats why I rented a 3 bedroom), he wants to charge me an additional $500 a month over the extra person. I have told my landlord via email, phone and in person that I will not discuss the issue until I receive a copy of the lease. The MA state law says he must furnish a copy of the lease within 30 days of it being signed but it does not say what happens (besides a $300 fine) if he refuses to provide a copy. He moved into the 2nd floor apt last week and has since taken my parking spot. What are my options?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/17/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

If your lease requires that you add any roommate to the lease, and you cannot agree on terms with the landlord, then the landlord can give you 30 day notice of the rent increase, and if you do not pay, then the landlord can evict you.

The $300 fine is payable to the court -- not to you -- so, no matter how things turn out, the fine does not help you at all. MGL § 186-15D.

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that you must try to work something out with the landlord, or things could get ugly in a hurry.

Please don't shoot the messenger here. I'm just trying to prepare you for the worst-case scenario.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

So the landlord can refuse to give me a copy of the lease even though I have asked several times? I am beyond having a discussion with my landlord and looking to see what my rights as a tenet are.

Yes, the landlord can refuse. If your landlord sues to evict you, then you can require that the landlord produce the lease as part of the lawsuit.

Maybe the landlord has lost the original.

Relist: Inaccurate answer.
What's inaccurate about the answer?