Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

i am the landlord of a townhouse renting to a tenant. The…

Customer Question
i am the landlord of...
i am the landlord of a townhouse renting to a tenant. The toilet tank of one of the bathrooms blew up the beginning of February. Appropriate action was taken to remove the water, dry the water mess, (from upstairs and downstaris), then repairs started. Many problems have arisen since trying to repair the mess, including contractors walking off job, tenant not giving access, tentant complaining of giving access, tenant complaining of not being given 24 hours notice of landlord wanting/needing access. Mold problem then started from adjoining condo from other water problem, abatement started, can't get air clearance, ongoing problem, insurance won't cover mold issue. More delays by tenant wanting more notice, only work within business hours, no work on weekends.Tenant now wants percentage of rent back for lack of use of rented space she is not giving full access to, What are my rights as landlord, what are my financial obligations to her. I am in CCalifornia.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/18/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Hello and thank you for your question. What can I answer exactly?

I need to know how much money to return to my tenant who vacated the tenancy with appropriate notice, after deciding she no longer wanted to stay a tenant due to the amount of work being done to repair water damage issues relating to a toilet that blew its plumbing during her tenancy. She is asking for about half of her rent back for 6 months of tenancy where she only had about half living area available to her due to stated water damage, then secondary water damage coming from the unit nextdoor. Additionally, it is suspective that the toilet plumbing blowing out was due to bleach tablets being used in the tank by her, in a secondary bathroom that probably is not flushed daily or possibly even weekly. Does any responsibility for failed plumbing fall on her due to consumer responsibility of these tablets? During the time that the repairs were being made, she was only allowing access with a 24 hour notice being given to her, one access at a time, causing access to be about 2 times weekly due to trying to arrange contractors schedules and her allowing access. I understand she did not have full access to her living accomidations during this time, but delays were caused by her as well due to her demands of official 24 hour notice being given her. I feel this cancels some of the request for refund of rents asked by her. Please reply,

Jaime Palmer