Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

hi im renting a house in sugarland tx i had problems in

Customer Question
hi im renting a house...
hi
im renting a house in sugarland tx
i had problems in the house ,- flood from the bathroom and a fire in the kitchen , the landloard had an ins for the both of them the thing is during the time of fixing these problems i had to leave the house with my family and we stayed in the hotel , for about a month and an half , his ins is not gonna cover that and now he is asking for rent from us , i think he is going to try to ivct us from here can u tell me is there a chance of me fighting this in court or should i just pay him the rent
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/17/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

If you were responsible for the flood and fire, then the landlord could sue you for the damage, which would include the rent.

If the flood and fire were caused by the landlord's negligence, then you are not responsible for the rent and you can sue the landlord for the cost of alternate housing.

If the flood and fire were caused by an "Act of God" accident, then you are not responsible for the rent, but the landlord is not responsible for your housing costs.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.