Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We have a Board Member who is a Real Estate Broker. He conducts…

Customer Question
We have a Board Member...
We have a Board Member who is a Real Estate Broker. He conducts closings and leases in his resident (on property, against the by-laws). Manages rental homes on property. Advertises rentals and sales on our community TV channel. Our by-laws also indicate that the Board of Directors must be notified prior to any lease or sale, (giving him an upper hand). We need him to step down, isn't there a new Florida regulation that forbids Board Members of having a private financial interest in their community.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/17/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

Under s. 718.111(1)(a) and 720.303(1) F.S., directors and officers of an association or condominium development have a fiduciary duty to the association. Among those duties recognized as "fiduciary," is the duty to not engage in self dealing, i.e., actions with a direct conflict of interest that benefit the director, rather than the association.

Your facts do not disclose whether or not the real estate agent's activities are actually detrimental to the association membership. If they are, then that is a breach of fiduciary, and the association can sue to recover any profits generated by the director's breach.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.