Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

A management company entered our accounting data into a software…

Customer Question
A management company entered our...
A management company entered our accounting data into a software program (Peachtree). I requested a copy of the electronic file. They say we do not have the right to the electronic file. I say we do as it contains offical records of the Association.

Who is right?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/17/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Pro, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Law Pro, Lawyer
Who are you? What position do you hold within the Association and what type of association is this?
I am a homeowner and former director and officer. It is a Florida Homeowners Association Incorporated as a non profit.
As just a member you wouldn't be entitled to ask for such. However, as a board member you could ask for such and would be entitled to obtain such.

They (the accounting firm) would have a duty to supply the information if requested as to review what work they have done and how they characterized matters.

Please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you (even if you placed a deposit or have a subscription program). You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated. If you do have a follow-up question, press REPLY, NOT relist, or else I won’t receive the question.

Florida statute states homeowner has the right to inspect and copy "Official records". I believe 4 below would include the digital data.

720.303 Association powers and duties; meetings of board; official records; budgets; financial reporting; association funds; recalls.--

(4) OFFICIAL RECORDS.--The association shall maintain each of the following items, when applicable, which constitute the official records of the association:

4. Any other records that identify, measure, record, or communicate financial information.

(5) INSPECTION AND COPYING OF RECORDS.--The official records shall be maintained within the state and must be open to inspection and available for photocopying by members or their authorized agents at reasonable times and places within 10 business days after receipt of a written request for access. This subsection may be complied with by having a copy of the official records available for inspection or copying in the community. If the association has a photocopy machine available where the records are maintained, it must provide parcel owners with copies on request during the inspection if the entire request is limited to no more than 25 pages

They can print the information and you can copy it - they don't have to give you the backup or accounting information on media.

If you re-read exactly what they statute states - it states that they only have to make available for photocopying and inspection.

They do not have to make available the electronic file - only the paperwork.

Sorry - but they are right. It's a way for them to protect their work product.