Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am looking at a property to buy and I have horses. The HOA…

Customer Question
I am looking at a...
I am looking at a property to buy and I have horses. The HOA states no livestock but the house has road frontage and 95% of the land isn't even in the development but it is considered being under the restrictive covenants of the development. We have talked to the president of the HOA and she doesn't think it will be a problem to bring the horses and also said we could be x'ed from the development if we get a lawyer and then we wouldn't even be a part of the development. How do I go about getting the property removed from the housing development? That way I will not have to abide by it's rules and regulations?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/17/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Richard, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Richard, Lawyer

Good morning. You would need the existing HOA to amend its Declaration of Restrictions, Covenants and Conditions (or whatever the name of their specific document is) to exclude your property from the property description covered by such restrictions, covenants and conditions. That would then need to be recorded in the local real property records. That would be all you would need.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.