Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in a 62 unit that was built about 3 years ago. I live…

Customer Question
I live in a 62...
I live in a 62 unit that was built about 3 years ago. I live on the second floor and have been flooded twice with major damage. I am aware that other units have experienced flooding/plumbing issues as well, but the cause seems to be varied. The board seems to have no idea what to do, and I am asking that they do some systemic analysis. They beilieve that all this different warter damage is not related but random acts. As far as some systemic analysis, they don't seem to understand, Is this a reasonable request? Who would be qualified to do it? Also, there has been some evidence that in the first flood there might have been sabotage for the back up was caused by a large block of wood found in the sewer. I would be greatful for your advice.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/17/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

Whether the request is reasonable is irrelevant. The legal issue is that the board has an obligation to maintain the common areas. If those areas are succeptable to flooding, and the board refuses to take reasonable steps to remedy the problem, then you have an action against the board for breach of loyalty to the members, and for any damages caused by the diminution in value of your property due to the board's apparent lack of loyalty to the membership WI Stat. 703.25.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.