Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We have 4 dogs contained in a fenced yard. A surveyor walked…

Customer Question
We have 4 dogs contained...
We have 4 dogs contained in a fenced yard. A surveyor walked into our yard today unannounced and our pit bull (yes, pit bull), who is just barely a year, lunged at him. He does it to everyone he meets - even us. It is really a display of affection of his and a habit we are trying to break him of. There was no snarling or growling and his tail was wagging. I saw the whole thing happen as I was standing right there. It did break the skin on the mans face - not a bite - but more like if you were hit with a baseball in the face and then his arm was scratched when our dog came down. About 4 hours later he called and he said his wife saw his face and arm and 'freaked' and said he had to go to the ER immediately and then asked about our insurance. Our dog has never bitten anyway, nor was this a sign of agression but the guy was shaken obviously. His vaccinations are up to date. Are we liable for anything?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/17/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
N Cal Attorney
I do not believe the surveyor had any right to enter a fenced yard unannounced, and he should be treated as a trespasser for doing so. Dogs are allowed to bite trespassers, but in my opinion you should report this to your homeowner's insurance company immediately as a claim. After that I would let the insurance company deal with this.

I hope this information is helpful.
N Cal Attorney
Thank you for accepting my answer.
It turns out the guy decided to drop the charges. The sheriff came out to see our vaccination records and also the 'dangerous' pit bull. I called my agent and she said that if it had been any other dog inflicting the same 'scratches', they would have never even thought to pursue it but being it was a pit bull they saw dollar signs. The sheriff told us that even if someone comes in our yard, we are responsible to have control over them. I told him I didn't think a dog jumping on someone was considered 'vicious' especially when he was wagging his tail, no growling or snarling, etc. but he did scratch the guy's face. In the state of Colorado, if the guy would have sued and the sheriff said he would have won, and then our dog jumped on someone again and scratched him, they would take him and kill him. To me this is just ridiculous that there is no difference in a 'friendly' dog scratching a person that drew about 2 drops of blood and a dog that literally tears your arm half off. So we had to post signs all around our property that says 'Beware of Dog' and 'No Tresspassing'. The Beware of Dog sign wasn't sufficient. Now we feel like outcasts in the community.
You wrote: The sheriff told us that even if someone comes in our yard, we are responsible to have control over them

You know, the sheriff did not go to law school and is not a reliable source of advice. I think the sheriff is wrong that the trespasser could have won a "dog bite" case against you.

Trespassers have no right to invade your property and you may want to sue that surveyor for trespassing and invasion of privacy.

You can get a free consultation from some of the Colorado real estate lawyers listed by location at
http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/practicestate/Real-Estate-Law/Colorado