Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

The townhome I have leased went into foreclosure in late April.

Customer Question
After my allowance of 90...
The townhome I have leased went into foreclosure in late April. After my allowance of 90 days is up in order for me to relocate, if I need more time, can I legally request an extension? I don't believe I'll be ready to leave by Aug. 1. Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX ([email protected])
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/16/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Hello and thank you for your question. Yes, you can ask for it and often it is accomodated as long as you are paying rent.
I sent you yet another email wich elaborated on my situation. I asked if I could pay them rent when this happened, and they wanted to pay me to get out ASAP. I said it was impossible. No, I have not been paying any rent. They want to sell the property. I fear being "locked out."
They would have to evict you through the courts so you will have advance notice.
How long would that take? If they evict me thru the courts, does that mean they are unable to "lock me out" until the court makes its ruling? When the time gets closer to 90 days, should I contact them to tell them I am having problems? I want to make sure they can't just lock me out. Do you know the answer to that question?  Did you rcv my 2nd email elaborating on my current situation which is causing delays?
Normally a month.