Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

A professional artist, I am interested in purchasing a warehouse…

Customer Question
A professional artist, I am...
A professional artist, I am interested in purchasing a warehouse in a M1-2 zone in Fort Greene, Brooklyn, NY. Advertised as a "Live-Work Loft Building...ideal for a live/work situation for an owner-user", the property has a woodworking shop downstairs and a 3BR aptupstairs. However, its CofO says "manufacturing" only, so the residential unit is not legal.

Apparently, NYC regulations allow for residential units in industrial buildings when they serve as joint living work quarters for artists or for a live-in caretaker of the property. Can I get the existing apartment legalized under any of these provisions or in any other way?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/16/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Hello and thank you for your question. What precisely do you want to know?
How can I legalize the upstairs apartment ?
Do you fall under the exceptions you mentioned. If so you would need a landlord tenant specialist lawyer locally to so apply for you with the rent stabliziation board for recognition.
Please read my intitial question. I am not approaching this issue as a tenant; I am an artist looking to purchase this 2-floor warehouse which already has an illegal apartment upstairs.
You would still need to have stabliziation board recognize it for your purposes.