Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I received supplemental property tax bill on property I sold…

Customer Question
I received supplemental property tax...
I received supplemental property tax bill on property I sold a year ago. Why do I have to pay the supplement, isn't it the buyer who does this? The effective date was the date of my fathers death not the date of the sale of the property.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/16/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

The seller owes taxes on real property for the time it was owned. If a supplemental assessment occurred for a time period during the seller's ownership, and that bill was not resolved during the escrow process (which can happen when the assessment has not yet been made by the county), then the seller can receive an additional tax assessment, even though the seller no longer owns the property.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.