Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

were about to sue a landlord whose warehouse we paid a down…

Customer Question
we're about to sue a...
we're about to sue a landlord whose warehouse we paid a down payment for and the first months rent to move in and then, after we move all our stuff and setup in, we find out the there's an illegal partition down the middle of the warehouse.

It turns out we were illegally sharing this warehouse with another neighbor, and now the city's involved and stopped all operations (including ours so we're losing money). We were not informed by the real estate agent, property manager, landlord, nor the contract we signed.

I called a few attorney places and they're asking for about $250~$375/hr. What now?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/15/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 8 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

we're about to sue a landlord whose warehouse we paid a down payment for and the first months rent to move in and then, after we move all our stuff and setup in, we find out the there's an illegal partition down the middle of the warehouse. It turns out we were illegally sharing this warehouse with another neighbor, and now the city's involved and stopped all operations (including ours so we're losing money). We were not informed by the real estate agent, property manager, landlord, nor the contract we signed. I called a few attorney places and they're asking for about $250~$375/hr. What now?

Response: Unfortunately, the fees are not unreasonable. If you are a business, you cannot file the lawsuit on your own. You must retain an attorney to file the lawsuit on your behalf. You can look at the sites below to see if you might be able to find attorneys at relatively lower rates. In the alternative, you may try to see if you can settle with the Landlord since there is no question that he is at fault and that he is causing you money.

http://www.attorneypages.com/

http://www.justia.com/

http://www.lawyers.com/

Relist: Already know that. What should we do..
Already know that. What should we do.
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

Hi, I'm a different attorney.

Is the landlord solvent?

Does the warehouse have any equity value?

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.